Thursday, March 26, 2009

11 Years Down and FOREVER to go


We celebrated our 11 year wedding anniversary March 10th. We had a busy week so we waited until things slowed down to celebrate just the two of us. This last Monday we booked a room at The Castle Creek Inn in far away Cottonwood Heights (by the Walmart) It was so nice to forget about life for a whole day. We started out the day with a movie and then we headed downtown. We spent some time in the Visitors Center of the Salt Lake Temple. There is a small room where you can listen to a Modern Day Prophet talk on Families. We recommitted to our marriage and family. We ate the best dinner at The Melting Pot. It was a great night. Thanks Steph for taking the kids and getting them off to school the next morning.



Our Story:
We met on our Choir Trip our Senior Year in High School on the Beach in San Diego. I was tempted to body board in the ocean. As I was pursuaded by a group of friends, I requested someone show me how and he immediately stood and said that he would. Shocked, I took his extended hand and we headed into the ocean. One wave hit and then the other. Not much of a swimmer, I fell under and couldn't catch my breath. He held on. We spent the trip pretty inseparable. A friend of mine threw me in the pool and Cody rushed to my defense thinking he had hurt me. I knew at that moment I would always be protected and safe with him. The night he came home from Australia after we had both fasted and prayed, he asked me to marry him. My answer was, "Are you sure?" When he replied. "Of course!" I replied, "Then let's..." and we began our lives really young, with nothing to call our own except each other. From the moment I met Cody, I knew he was the one. The one who would protect, serve, love unconditionally, understand and look forward to FOREVER with.
Our wedding was on a beautiful, cool March morning. He arrived at the Temple before us. (Anyone who knows my dad knows that is quite a feat) Because we were both so early, we had a great deal of time in the Celestial Room waiting for our sealing. So we played paper, rock and scissors and complained we were hungry (no time to eat we didn't want to risk being late). We were sealed by Grandpa Baldwin. I remember looking around at so many who loved and supported us. As Cody and I walked back to the couch, he stepped on my train and popped off every button holding it up. We just smiled. We enjoyed our Wedding Breakfast at Little America. It was surreal. Then on to our reception at Seven Oaks Reception Center. Dad got into a fender bender and mom arrived in a police car holding my china and slip. Seven bridesmaids and seven groomsment later, we cut the cake and headed to far away Park City for our first night.
Cody makes me laugh because he is so real. I love his quirks and his obsessive way he folds his socks. We have grown-up together and I am so thankful for our life and FOREVER. I don't go a day without hearing how beautiful I am. When he asks how my day is, he really wants to know. He is so willing to work so hard for our family.

11 comments:

Leslie Moseley said...

Aww... that's beautiful. The music really sets a tone and now I need the 'Watts box". I had forgotten about all your gorgeous curls but other than length of hair, you haven't changed a bit.

Melissa said...

Heather, this is beautiful! I so wish I had been there for your wedding day! It makes me sad to think that I wasn't there for one of the greatest days of your life. Anyway, your pictures are beautiful, I loved the video, it was awesome! Happy 11th!

Cheryl said...

I have never seen you with long hair Heather! I love your wedding pictures. Castle Creek inn and the melting pot are two places that I would love to experience, it sounds like the perfect way to celebrate. Congratulations on 11 years down and forever to go.

Cash Family said...

Holy crap. I can't believe it's been 11 years! However, you two are so darn cute together I just love it!

Heather said...

You two are wonderful. Congrats on the 11 years. Give Cody our love and we love you tood.

Kelley Rae said...

It's so fun to hear your story, you are both so great and I've loved getting to know you more and more over the past few years. Congrats!!

Kim said...

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY you two!! *never knew your anniversary was on Keith's b-day!! glad you could get away and have fun!

Hastings Family said...

Congrats!!!!! Although you will always be a step ahead due to birth order, in this case I am glad so that I can learn from you and also see what to look forward to in the future! 11 Years, wow, that is so long!

Liza said...

Flashback pictures! Time sure does fly. Happy 11th!

D-Crew said...

I am LOVING that slide show!! So adorable!! Congrats on 11 years! PS the pic of the kids in the tree is fabulous! Glad I got to say hello and give you a hug! Love ya

ASRussell said...

Wow...I don't think I have ever heard that story...love it!!! Way to guys!!!